Saturday, October 8, 2011

2 Tablespoons of Health

Quote of the day: "People who don't know how to keep themselves healthy ought to have decency to get themselves buried, and not waste time about it."-Henrick Ibsen

I am by no means a skinny person and can definitely work-on being healthier, especially since I'm no longer invincible when it comes to my metabolism. However, the people who are diabetics but you can't tell that, based on the foods that they eat loaded down with sugar (they are worse off then I am).  The only way I'll have to eat my words, is if I continue on my path of not eating right and failing to exercise, which could ultimately result in me becoming a diabetic (that would not be cool).

I do have family members close to me who suffer with diabetes everyday.  While at times I can sympathize with how hard it could be to change your eating habits when there are certain foods you love and can't live without.  But at some point you have care about yourself and try to make a better effort to live a healthier life style by finding foods that aren't high in sugar through trial and error (most foods without sugar is quite nasty).  As well as, incorporating exercise on a daily basis (definitely not an easy task with our busy lives).

Here are some statistics from the American Diabetes Association (Data from the 2011 National Diabetes Fact Sheet released January 26, 2011):

25.8 million Children and Adults in the United States-8.3% of the population-have diabetes.

Under 20 years of age
  • 215,000 or 0.26% of all people in this age group have diabetes.
  • About 1 in every 400 children and adolescents has diabetes
Age 20 years or older
  • 25.6 million, or 11.3% of all people in this age group have diabetes.
Age 65 years or older
  • 10.9 million, or 26.9% of people in this age group have diabetes.
Men
  • 13.0 million, or 11.8% of all men aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
Women
  • 12.6 million, or 10.8% of all women aged 20 years or older have diabetes.

Tip: Watch the little over one minute video on how to prevent diabetes and let me know your thoughts.
How to Prevent Diabetes



1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I admit my family is also prone to be diabetic and I havent done anything for myself to lower my chances. I just recently went and got a check-up and was told that I was borderline diabetic and I had to change my habits now or I have a 95% chance of becoming full blown diabetic. This scared me a little but I dont think enough. I have TRIED to cut back on my sugar intake by not drinking as much soda. I am also a candy fanatic so cutting back on that hurt. Sigh. But I am trying. Every time I hear the word diabetic, I see my aunt and grandma with all their needles and pills and say to my self....I can live without some sugar. I hope it will gradually get easier.

    ReplyDelete